been a while since i fired up the ole image processor. i still haven’t finished rewriting it entirely, it works but there is a definitely a bug somewhere in my rewritten code. it resulted in this weird diagonal shearing. 


took a break from coding to work on sprites. 

originally i was going to have 4 possible directions for a NPC to face. i was going for the top down look that Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past did so well. this means i’d have to make 4 sets sprites for each enemy (facing up, facing down, etc). this translates into more work, and more bloat in general. 

so instead I opted for a different perspective. all enemies are either facing left or right, there is no up or down (technically). games like Nuclear Throne do this and it works nicely.

another thing: i lowered the pixel count for my computer crab enemy and replaced its tentacles with legs. it’s so much easier to work on sprites with low resolutions!!!

unity has a thing where you can scale a sprite by -1 on any given axis and it will flip the sprite horizontally. this means i only need to create one set of movement and idle animations for every enemy. Now That's Paper.

Behold, player animations. I also finished doing sprites for a computer crab enemy thing. 

Art assets are a big time sink, i can see why so many indie devs go with low-res art.

I haven’t posted about my game development in a while so here is something new.

The blue squares are inactive enemies, ie. ones that aren’t visible through the game camera (ie. what the player sees). The red one is within the camera bounds so it is considered an active enemy and it moves around randomly on its own (and will eventually do things like attack the player). I haven’t done anything combat related yet really so that is probably gonna be next on my todo list.

I haven’t posted anything in a while so here’s some visualizations of some old stuff i did a while back.

working on cliff generation, specifically marking the edges properly. to properly illustrate chunk boundaries i made the chunk colors alternate between grey and white.

the top image is the initial cliff edge marking (any tan tile connected to a white tile becomes orange).

the second image shows the second pass where i convert all white tiles with 2 orange tile connections into an orange tile. this method actually gives worse results and causes large gaps between cliffs segments in different chunks.

the third image shows a tweaked version of the method used in the second. i am converting tan tiles to orange instead of white tiles to orange. it gives significantly more accurate results, still a few gaps to sort out though. i am missing a specific case related to chunk edges.

this simple method i am using works beautifully. i originally used the marching squares algorithm to mark the edges of the tan blobs but it would have taken a lot of tweaking in order for it to give the proper results.

Here is some simplex noise combined with my ‘infinite’ chunk-based game grid. You can see where the chunks connect. There are 9 chunks in the grid and you start in the middle. If you move to an edge chunk, that chunk becomes the center and the chunks which are not immediately on the edge of it are erased and moved to become the new edges.

Combined with saving/loading the entities within a chunk, this means i could create massive procedurally generated persistent grids.

The bottom image shows the difference between using different octaves with simplex noise (the leftmost image uses 8 octaves). I started work on generating cliffs (the orange outlines on the right image) but it’s going to take a different algorithm to properly generate cliff edges.

A failed attempt at merging 2 faces (putin and obama). 

I rewrote all of my existing code. I wanted to be able to load several images and do pixel comparisons with less hassle. It’s a work in progress!

behold: procedurally generated mesh based terrain and fully functional collisions. also, the stroller’s center of mass is altered so that it doesn’t flip all the time now.

This is my academic term group project for the computer graphics course i am taking. It’s a raytracer!

Our final version has antialiasing, motion blur, randomly sampled soft shadows, refraction and more.

A little test app i’ve been working on. I’m using Unity and it is really intuitive and easy to learn. I just started about half a week ago and I’ve already made substantial progress.

What it is: Eventually it will be a mobile game released on iPhone/Android. Originally I was going to make a Flappy Bird type clone just to get used to Unity but the learning curve wasn’t as steep as expected. I have a general idea of what i want to do and it will be Flappy Bird-esque, I suppose.

So far I have the procedural terrain generation (loosely) implemented. The white tiles are placeholders. Player movement works and basic input works (you can jump if the tires are on the ground).